Saturday, January 2, 2010

Cue the Music

 
 
 


Well folks, I know I'm off to a bit of a late start here on the Picture A Day project, but I didn't happen to have computer access yesterday, so I'm making up for it by posting more than one picture. :)

About an hour ago, I returned home from what turned out to be a whirlwind trip to visit my grandparents out in South Carolina. My brother, sister-in-law and 9 month old nephew all squeezed into my car and we drove until we could stand the car no longer. With a 9 month old baby, the breaking point came a bit sooner than expected. Stopping in KY, we managed to split the trip into tolerable spurts, stopping at "brown signs" along the way. (Brown signs, by the way, signify a recreational, historic or scenic sight.) The waterfall in the pictures is called Toccoa Falls (Toccoa, GA), and it carries with it a tragic history. In 1977 the dam above the falls broke, unleashing 176 million gallons of water that crashed its way through the the Toccoa Falls College campus, killing 39 people on the campus alone, and many more in the surrounding areas. That's not to mention the damage it did on the college's buildings and the trailer homes in a close by valley. Now there is a memorial at the sight, and visitors can see the falls year round, enjoying the foliage and wild life as well.

So, that's what I've got so far. Hopefully I'll have something a little less brochure'ish to share with you next time. For now, though, I will say good night. My brain is fried from driving, and if I continue trying to exist vertically, I think my body may mutiny.

Toodles.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. ohhh nice pictures. so sorry I missed you being in Nashville :( so sad

    ReplyDelete